Wednesday 22 January 2014

One Word - FREEDOM

I have been struggling the last few months to spend time with God and hear from him. Each year I ask for a scripture for the year and for this year decided to ask for one specifically for my boys also. I got one each for the boys but struggled to get anything, but in the time of struggle there was also a sense of peace to just keep waiting on the Lord.

We have just got back from an 8 day holiday and God spoke to me through I book I took away on holiday. The book is 'The Power of a Praying Life' by Stormie O'Martian. I am a huge Stormie fan. I have read and own quite a few of her books and this one would by far have to be my favourite!

So the word I got through reading this book is 'FREEDOM'. Freedom from the bondage of anxiety, depression, anger and fear. And as the word 'Freedom' began to set in my heart I started to realize that this book was all about freedom, especially when we pray and spend time with God.

With this word 'FREEDOM' also comes more that one verse which I can hold on to for this year:

'Because he loves me' says the Lord, 'I will rescue him; I will protect him, 
for he acknowledges my name. 
He will call on me and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, 
I will deliver him and honour him.'
PSALM 91:14,15

------------------------------

'So if the Son sets you free, you are free indeed.
JOHN 8:36

------------------------------

I have always allowed my anxiety/depression and fears to over rule what God says. My biggest fears and anxieties happen in the middle of the night or just before I go to sleep. So when I am tired I then become angry easily and run down with depression making my work a lot harder and people harder to deal with. To be honest just before we went on holiday I was seriously thinking about heading back to my doctor for some kind of medication because I became so sick. 

This year my hope and goal is to:
  • seek daily the light of Jesus that leads me 
  • spend time in worship and prayer each day, even if it is only 5 minutes - at least it's something
  • to seek positive influence in people around me
  • to allow God to take over my entire being - he knows I give myself fully to the work he has for me it's those times when spiritual attack comes that I start to head off in the wrong direction and follow my own path. (It's not fun!)
Another thing that comes each year is a song of some sort. And the words of 'In Christ Alone' have been playing around in not only my hear this last week but also in my boys hearts which is so awesome! 

These words I plan to put up on a poster in my office to remind me each day whose I am and who I follow:

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
'Til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand


Here's to another good year!

God Bless



1 comment:

  1. Hi, Suz! Saw your comment on my blog and dropped by to say thanks - and then read your post on freedom and wanted you to know that i *so* identify. Anxiety, depression, anger and fear are all legitimate emotions - and many of us have felt them, *and* felt shame for feeling them. Praying for you that this year you will be able to clearly hear His voice as you navigate your emotions AND clearly hear what your emotions are telling you.

    May we *both* stand in the power of Christ, and know His best path forward for us!

    Grace and peace,
    Happy

    ReplyDelete